(Minsk Watch Factory)
The history of the
open joint-stock company "Minsk Watch Plant" began in
1953 when the decision to construct such an enterprise
was made. It was also the starting point for the new
watch industry in the Republic of Belarus.
building started in autumn of 1954 according to the project
developed by the Leningrad Institute "Gipropribor" and the
Belorussian Institute Belgosproekt. The main aim of the plant
working was making women's watches.
Minsk Watch Plant
was constructed to produce a wide range of models and
the release of the first collection in 1956 showed that
watches “Luch” are in great demand.
of Zarja watches were produced.
In next 2
years more than 210000 watches were sold.
Besides the assembly shop, new automatic,
mechanical assembly, instrumental shops have appeared since 1957.
In 1963 the plant sold 1050000 of women's
watches "Vympel", which were very popular in the United Kingdom for
a long time, started.
In 1964 17 ruby stones women's watches
"Luch-1300" were developed and delivered for sale from the MWP.
They were the smallest watches the USSR had
ever made before: the size of such a watch was not bigger than 10
market approach during the period of structural economic
reforms in 1995-2000 slowed down the development of the
company. Nevertheless, these changes helped Minsk Watch
Plant to reach new levels of competitiveness. The result
is that nowadays Minsk Watch Plant is a modern automated
enterprise that employs more than one thousand people
and that is among the leaders of the watch industry in
The system of
quality management on Minsk Watch Plant corresponds to
the international standard ISO 9001. During the first
six months of the year 2004 the sales volume increased
by more than 10% and 12 new models were released. The
“Luch” watches were constantly awarded with prizes and
diplomas at the international watches exhibitions.